Sunday, February 26, 2017

Good Me Bad Me - Ali Land



Kindle Edition

Publisher: Michael Joseph

Published: 12/01/17

Pages: 352

Amazon Uk Link: Here

GoodReads Link: Here

Book given in exchange for an
honest review via Netgalley.



The Blurb

NEW NAME .
NEW FAMILY.
SHINY.
NEW.
ME.'

Annie's mother is a serial killer.

The only way she can make it stop is to hand her in to the police.

But out of sight is not out of mind.

As her mother's trial looms, the secrets of her past won't let Annie sleep, even with a new foster family and name - Milly.

A fresh start. Now, surely, she can be whoever she wants to be.

But Milly's mother is a serial killer. And blood is thicker than water.

Good me, bad me.

She is, after all, her mother's daughter...

My Thoughts


I have to be honest and say that I really struggled with my thoughts on this book.
There have been some pretty big claims by the marketing department which made me slightly cautious in reading this book in the first place. Things like EXTRAORDINARY, CONTROVERSIAL AND EXPLOSIVE along with the lazy comparisons to books like Gone Girl and The Girl on the train by the media make me extremely dubious about reading them as 9 times out of 10 they fail to live up to the hype.This was no exception to that rule.

I kind of enjoyed it, at no point did I want to give up, but it was just so predictable, long winded and uneventful for 90% of the book and then the obvious happened and that was it.

The story held a lot of promise which is why I wanted to read it but I found it hard to get to grips with the writing style and the direction the book went. The friendship Milly made with the girl from the estate was wasted and meant nothing. Was it to show how much Milly was like her Mum? Not really.

I can suspend reality when I read, after all thats what I read for, to escape the drudgery of real life but my biggest problem was her foster father Mike. Were we meant to believe that such a poor psychologist who clearly had family problems of his own to deal with, be allowed to foster one of his patients, who was the daughter of a Serial Killer? Wouldn't of thought so, and they certainly wouldnt let her back with his family after a suicide attempt.

Now having said all that this book isnt a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. I thought Milly was a good character and I felt sympathy for her throughout the book and I had the opposite emotional reaction to Pheobe. How I smiled at 90%.

Its an ok read, but most defiantly not EXTRAORDINARY, CONTROVERSIAL AND EXPLOSIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment