Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 ¼ Years Old



Kindle Edition

Cost: Netgalley

Publisher: Michael Jospeh

Published: 25/08/16

Amazon uk link: Here

Goodreads Link: Here



The Blurb

'Another year and I still don't like old people. Me? I am 83 years old.'

Hendrik Groen may be old, but he is far from dead and isn't planning to be buried any time soon. Granted, his daily strolls are getting shorter because his legs are no longer willing and he had to visit his doctor more than he'd like. Technically speaking he is ... elderly. But surely there is more to life at his age than weak tea and potted geraniums?

Hendrik sets out to write an exposé: a year in the life of his care home in Amsterdam, revealing all its ups and downs - not least his new endeavour the anarchic Old-But-Not Dead Club. And when Eefje moves in - the woman Hendrik has always longed for - he polishes his shoes (and his teeth), grooms what's left of his hair and attempts to make something of the life he has left, with hilarious, tender and devastating consequences.

The indomitable Hendrik Groen - Holland's unlikeliest hero - has become a cultural phenomenon in his native Netherlands and now he and his famously anonymous creator are conquering the globe. A major Dutch bestseller, The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen will not only delight older readers with its wit and relevance, but will charm and inspire those who have years to go before their own expiry date.


My Thoughts

Not the kind of book I regularly read, but every now and again I like a change. The Secret Diary of… was certainly a change.

A year in the life of a 83yr old may not sound like a barrel of laughs, although maybe not a barrel it was certainly a Party 7. (Ask your parents if you are under 40).

Lots of issues are covered in this book many of which most of us will have to face as we grow older and if I live long enough and have to go into a home, God forbid, then I hope I have a friend like Hendrik to help me with the inevitable degrading of body and mind.

You see my 17 readers, the above is why I didn’t really enjoy reading it. Reminds you of the inevitable and it left me with thoughts that one day we will all get old and die and I don’t want to, I am having too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment