Saturday, April 16, 2016

Book 27 - The Dead House - Harry Bingham



Kindle Edition

Cost: Netgallery

Publisher: Orion

Published: 28/07/16

Amazon uk link: Here

Goodreads link: Here

The Blurb

When the body of a young woman is found in an old 'dead house' - the annexe where the dead were stored before burial in medieval times - of a tiny Welsh church, it seems that past and present have come together in a bizarre and horrifying way. For DC Fiona Griffiths, the girl - a murder victim whose corpse was laid out with obvious tenderness - represents an irresistibly intriguing puzzle, given Fiona's unusual empathy with the dead. And when her investigations lead her to an obscure and secretive monastery hidden in a remote valley, she finds that the dead girl is far from the only victim of a sinister melding of modern crime and medieval religious practices. Only Fiona is capable of putting the mismatched pieces together in this disturbing puzzle, but immersing herself in this dark and obsessive world could threaten her fragile grip on her own sanity.

My Thoughts

This is the 5th instalment in the Fiona Griffiths series of books. I have to admit that I hadn’t read any of the previous books, but that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of this one.
Fiona Griffiths is unlike any character I have ever read before. If I am being honest it took me around 20% of the book until I understood her and the authors writing style, but then BOOM, I was hooked. You always feel that there is a great sadness behind her character but at the same time she is happy. She is funny, loyal, and clever. I felt she could go over the edge at any moment but her work kept her from falling. She reminds me of Tony Hill in many respects. The supporting characters were well written and believable.
It’s a well knitted story with many strands that are all brought together at the end. There are two parts in particular that stand out for me and without giving too much away the Cave had me literally holding my breath and made me feel as if the walls were closing in on me. I really felt as if I was down there. The climax to the book is great reading and unexpected. Another Author I need to add to my read all pile.



No comments:

Post a Comment